The letter on the Dominican Month for Peace 2019 focusing on India, to be held from 1st December to 1st January, and associated materials.
Rome, 11 October 2019
To all the members of the Dominican Family
Dominican Month for Peace 2019
Prot. 50/19/117 Promoter of J&P
Dear Brothers and Sisters,
Just before he finished his term a few months ago, our beloved former Master, fr Bruno Cadoré, sent you a letter on 25 June, announcing that the focus of our annua I Dominican Month far Peace far 2019 would be on India. We hope that his letter was widely distributed and that you are all ready to celebrate this unique moment of solidarity of the whole Dominican Family during Advent, praying that the Prince of Peace will bless all of our efforts. It will begin on the First Sunday of Advent (1 December), run far the whole of December, and culminate on the Church’s World Day of Peace on 1 January.
In case you did not receive fr Bruno’s last letter, we attach it again here in arder not to repeat ali that he has already written. In summary, we can just say that, after showing our solidarity with the valiant efforts of Dominican men and women to build peace in Colombia in 2017 and in the Democratic Republic of Congo in 2018, this year we turn to a new continent, Asia, with our focus on India.
As fr Bruno has said, “In the wake of the Synod on Youth that took piace in October, 2018, we have decided to reinforce this priority of the Church by including a particular focus on peace as it applies to youth, with whom many of our Dominican brothers and sisters in India are working. With this priority in mind, and while
forms of violence are prevalent at so many levels of the huge and complex Indian society, our focus in the 2019 Dominican Month far Peace will be on countering violence, in the form of deprivation and abuse, against children, women and “tribals” (indigenous people), struggles in which many Dominicans are present.” Our concern far indigenous people will also echo the preoccupations of Pope Francis in calling the Synod on Amazonia in October, 2019, which is coinciding with our own effort.
To concretise our attention on India, we will focus on two Dominican projects in particular that are directed at youth:
- The Project Bloom far street children run by Dominicans in Nagpur; and
- The Dominican Family Safe Childhood Project to train trainers to address child sexual abuse.
We therefore invite you, during this month, to organise activities of prayer, preaching, awareness-raising, fundraising, producing drama, songs or art, media publicity or anything else that can creatively direct our energy towards our Dominican sisters and brothers in India and to these two projects in particular, to strengthen them in being signs of hope, especially to the young and the marginalised.
To assist you in the organisation of the Month, please find attached the following information and materials:
- A pamphlet describing the situation in India, where Dominicans are located and what they are doing to bring hope to the people.
- Suggestions of ways to express solidarity.
- Testimonies of young people who have been touched by the Dominicans.
- Descriptions of the Common Dominican projects regarding children in India.
- A description of a “Labyrinth” – a creative form of prayer.
- Links about India and the Dominicans in India.
- Art contributions made in the past three years.
lf you have other suggestions on ways to express solidarity with our brothers and sisters in India, please do share them with us.
How to send contributions?
Account Name: Indian Centre for Integrateci Development
Account Number: 13390100062926
Bank: The Federai Bank LTD
Address: HN 576, Yashwant Apartment, Near Centrai Mali, East High Court Road, Nagpur – 440010, Maharashtra State; India
IFSC Code: FDRL0001339:
Swift Code: FDRLINBBIBD
Contributions o/ Works o/ Art:
Write to the Generai Curia: Promoter for Justice and Peace firstname.lastname@example.org
fr Herald D’Souza,
email@example.com; Tél: +91 90494 73743
As a next step, we urge you :
- to appoint a coordinator for the Month for Peace for your entity/congregation,
- to inform our promoters of Justice and Peace, fr Mike Deeb firstname.lastname@example.org and Sr Cecilia Espenilla email@example.com of the name of the coordinator appointed for your entity/congregation, and
- to allocate time for possible events in your regular programme for that month.
Thank you very much for your cooperation! May our small actions of solidarity, like the mustard seed, contribute to enabling peace to reign in India!
In St Dominic,
fr Gerard Timoner
Master of the Order
sr Cecilia Espenilla
DSI International Promoter for Justice, Peace and Integrity of Creation
fr Mike Deeb
Generai Promoter for Justice and Peace